The Who's Who In Bitcoin
The Bitcoin industry has grown tremendously since Bitcoin was released to the public in January 2009. Over $1B of investment into Bitcoin and blockchain companies has taken place resulting in thousands of companies and hundreds of thousands of individuals involved from around the world.
A Week With Dr. Adam Back
Dr. Adam Back is the premier expert in the world on blockchain technology and is currently pioneering the sidechains project for the core Bitcoin protocol.
He has worked on e-cash protocols since 1995 as an applied cryptographer and is cited in both the TOR whitepaper and Bitcoin whitepaper by Satoshi Nakamoto and is the inventor of the Hashcash proof-of-work which is used for the decentralized mining used for Bitcoin security.
He was an architect and cryptographer at Zero-Knowledge Systems working on its Freedom network, a precursor to Tor. Most recently, Adam co-founded Picorp which was acquired by EMC.
He holds a Ph.D. in distributed systems and computer science from the University of Exeter.
- A Week With Adam Back - Part 1 - Why is Dr. Back so legendary?
- A Week With Adam Back - Part 2 - Who are the top Bitcoin developers?
- A Week With Adam Back - Part 3 - Confidential Transactions
- A Week With Adam Back - Part 4 - Lightning Network
- A Week With Adam Back - Part 5 - Sidechains
Bitcoin Core--formerly Bitcoin-Qt--is a Bitcoin codebase based on the original code and framework published by Satoshi Nakamoto. Bitcoin Core is currently run by more than 70% of Bitcoin nodes and all miners, making it the most widely used Bitcoin client. Note that Bitcoin Core is not a company.
Blockstream is one of the most-well funded Bitcoin companies, with $76 million in venture capital thanks to its latest $55 million funding round. Its core purpose is to improve Bitcoin's utility with sidechains.
Armory builds enterprise grade Bitcoin security software solutions and provides Bitcoin security consulting services to institutions for deploying a Bitcoin security plan.
Coinbase aims to be the easiest way to get started with Bitcoin. Users can easily buy & sell bitcoins, or accept bitcoin as a merchant.
Ledger is a Bitcoin security company known for its Bitcoin hardware wallets.
OpenBazaar is a Bitcoin-only, decentralized online marketplace. It is currently developed by OB1.
More Bitcoin Companies
IndividualsYou don't need to work for a company to contribute in the Bitcoin space. Meet more of the names and faces who are involved with Bitcoin.
- Airbitz - Mobile Bitcoin Wallet (Android & iOS)
- Armory - Enterprise Bitcoin wallet security software
- Bitaps - Bitcoin processing operator
- Bitgold - New with gold payments
- Blockonomics - Permissionless tools for a decentralized world
- BlockTrail - Bitcoin Developers Platform
- Breadwallet - Mobile Bitcoin wallet
- Coinbase - Major Bitcoin exchange in US and Europe
- CoinCorner - Leading UK & European Bitcoin exchange
- Coinkite - Business and Consumer Bitcoin Wallet, Merchant Tools and Developers API Platform
- Cryptolabs - Case hardware wallet
- Cryptohippie - Virtual Private Network (VPN - secure Internet browsing)
- Factom - Factom Project
- Kraken - Largest EUR Bitcoin exchange
- Safello - Bitcoin exchange in Sweden
- Anycoin Direct - Bitcoin exchange in Europe
- Shapeshift - Alt-coin exchange
- James De'Angelo - World Bitcoin Network
- Brian Donegan - Isle of Man government
- Daniel Scott - CoinCorner Co-Founder
- Eli Dourado - Research fellow at the Mercatus Center
- Tony Gallippi - Chairman of Bitpay
- Jeff Garzik - Bitcoin core developer and CEO of Dunvegan Space Systems, Inc.
- Arthur Hayes - CEO of BitMEX
- Peter Kirby - President of Factom
- Gregory Maxwell - Bitcoin core developer and Co-Founder and CTO Blockstream
- Trace Mayer, J.D. - Investor
- Reggie Middleton - Investor
- Nicola Minichiello - Bitcoin 2.0 focus
- Andy Ofiesh - Senior Developer at Armory
- Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn - CEO at Least Authority
- Michael Perklin - CryptoCurrency Security Standard (CCSS)
- Jesse Powell - CEO of Kraken
- Alan Reiner - CTO and Founder of Armory
- Paul Rosenberg - Cryptohippie
- John Velissarios - CEO & CISO of Armory
- Aaron Voisine - CEO of Breadwallet
- Erik Voorhees - CEO of Shapeshift
- Boaz Bechar - CEO of BlockTrail
- Rodolfo Novak - Founder & CEO of Coinkite
- Peter D. Gray - Founder & CTO of Coinkite
Is your favorite company not included? Are you a player on the Bitcoin field and want to be included? Please submit a pull request!